Burrum Windfest 2013 End of event THANKYOU,
This year's Burrum Windfest was one of the closest Windfest's to date on the water. With 36 competitors joining in the fun and managing to sail on 7 out of 7 days we were able to complete the speed sailing component of Windfest in only 4 days in winds varying from 20-30 knots thanks to cyclone Sandra.
the open division was tight. early leader and previous winner Glynn was king of the course on day one posting a 39.052 knot 2 sec peak and 36.543 knot 5x10 speed which until day 4 looked to be this years winning speeds. luckily for Vando, day 4 produced enough winds to allow him to move into first place and take the title for 2013.
the NM open category was owned by phillip Nott taking pole position on 3 of the 4 days.
top 5 results for open division were.
2 sec peak
1. Michel Van Der Pligt - 39.868 (beer prize)
2. Glynn Merritt - 39.052 (beer prize)
3. Phillip Nott - 39.032
4. Jason Rzoska - 37.623
5. Geoff Ringe (legends) - 36.535
1. Michel Van Der Pligt - 37.132 (trophy + burrum sands holiday units accomodation prize)
2. Glynn Merritt - 36.543 (fin quiver bag from jordan's boat hire)
3. Phillip Nott - 36.225
4. Christopher Remington- 33.912
5. Geoff Ringe (legends) - 33.846
1. Phillip Nott - 36.049 (trophy + 25cm select casper fin from sunshine coast sailboards)
2. Michel Van Der Pligt - 36.015 (harness lines from surf fx)
3. Glynn Merritt - 31.916
4. Geoff Ringe (legends) - 31.210
5. Brian Hooper - 30.530
Legends Division (over 60) is a highly prized windfest category. this year ongoing champion Geoff Ringe, who also mixes it in open division, stamped his authority once more.
top 4 results for legends division were.
1. Geoff Ringe - 33.846 (trophy + mast bag from windsurfing sales)
2. Greg Banks - 29.595 ( uphaul and boom bra from sunshine coast sailboards)
3. Ray Wilson - 27.748
4. Peter Nitchke - 26.793
1. Geoff Ringe - 31.210 (trophy + gear bag from windsurfing sales)
2. Greg Banks - 27.490 (fin quiver bag from jordan's boat hire)
3. Ray Wilson - 25.034
4. Peter Nitchke - 23.157
top 2 in womens division were
1. kellie Tusler - 31.137 (trophy)
2. Anne Lewis - 27.352 (mast bag from windsurfingsales)
1. Kellie Tusler - 31.137 (trophy)
2. Anne Lewis - 27.352 (harness lines from sunshine coast sailboards)
Last year Windfest was won by local youth Bradley Jones. During that event local Scott Hansen wanted to enter but was asked to wait 1 year to allow enough time for his sailing to improve enough to meet the event requirements. well 1 year later and scott was back and ready to show what he could do. both bradley and scott exchanged speeds right through the event and up until the last day by which time Scott had gained the upper hand and taken out the comp for 2013.
1. Scott hansen - 25.809 (trophy + 29cm select casper fin from sunshine coast sailboards)
2. Bradley Jones - 25.652 (gear bag from windsurfing sales)
the longboard race was held on day 6 and had some serious tactics happening along the course. race winner was Peter Nitchke on his series 2 one design.
1. Peter Nitchke
2. Kellie Tusler.
Full results can be found here